Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
September/October 2024 -   -  

SPEAK OUT!

Standing Up for the 'Kids' Affected by Exposure to Agent Orange

Like many veterans, my dad never spoke about the Vietnam War. He’d close the door to any kind of conversation with a comment about just getting sunburned in the South Pacific. I believed him, mostly. I built a story in my head of long days spent lounging, drinking cocktails, and playing cards. It wasn’t until I got older that I wondered if the silence had to do with the fact he’d come home with a suntan while so many others came home with something far worse.

I came to believe—at least as a kid—that his time in Vietnam wasn’t important enough to him to share any war stories. On the other hand, if it had meant so little to him, I doubt he would have endured taking me as a bored teenager to see his ship when it came through town, or that a circle of his shipmates would come forward when he died. I’m not trying to make my dad’s time in the Navy into something it wasn’t, it’s just that it wasn’t as simple as sunbathing.

In 2010, without any family history or known risk factors, my dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It didn’t feel right. But what felt even stranger was that as he faced chemo and surgeries, I was going in for procedures of my own.

All my life, I’d had unexplained health issues. Something was wrong, but no one could pin it down. As symptoms worsened, a neurosurgeon identified a birth defect. A timebomb of sorts was ticking away in my spinal cord, shutting down organs and body systems. I had been born with a birth defect without any relevant family history or known prenatal risk factors.

A SURREAL EXPERIENCE  

When someone dies, we’re left to mull over the memories and details again and again. So, I guess I was trying to make my dad feel more alive when nine years later, in 2022, I began looking for information about his time in the Navy. That’s when I learned about the PACT Act, and about Blue Water Navy veterans; about health conditions with links to Agent Orange; and birth defects in children of exposed veterans. It was the most surreal thing I have ever experienced.

I texted a Navy SEAL friend, asking how much time my dad would have served on his ship during his whole tour of duty or “were there shifts or something?”

I thought that my dad may have visited his mom for her birthday when the ship docked in Da Nang. Or maybe he’d just been working in San Diego, but was still considered deployed. Then again, he said he was just sunbathing in the South Pacific. Suddenly, everything that had seemed so strange with my dad’s and my health made sense.

In 2020, I moved from Idaho to Montana. Leaving the small town and the tight community I’d lived in for nearly twenty years was difficult. But I needed to be somewhere with more medical resources, so I moved a few hours north to a city in Montana. I had no idea that the U.S. Senator at the helm of the PACT Act, and who chaired the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, was from Montana.

After submitting my forms to the VA, it was time to send another letter. This time I wrote to my Senator, Jon Tester. I submitted a letter through his website, but as the weeks passed, it increasingly felt inadequate.

As I worked to learn more about Agent Orange exposure in veterans, stories kept surfacing about families whose children born before they went to Vietnam were healthy. Meanwhile, too many of those born after were dealing with birth defects and health conditions that no one else in the family had. The despair and hopelessness expressed again and again by those children is heartbreaking.

Earlier in the year, I’d read about a proposed bill sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Corey Booker (D-N.J.), and Maggie Haasan (D-N.H.) calling for a commitment to better support Agent Orange “kids” with spina bifida. It seemed miraculous that forty-plus years later, there was still momentum and consideration for a generation of people affected by war.

Children are easy to rally support for when they’re cute and cuddly, but Agent Orange “kids” are firmly set in middle age. Reading post after post by adult children like me, it seems the tactic of “waiting for an army to die” could just as easily be applied to the kids affected by dioxin.

If the door had been opened, even a crack, by the PACT Act to allow legislation to evolve based on the latest and best science, then why shouldn’t a similarly new one apply to the list of birth defects? Instead of just thanking Sen. Tester, I started asking how I could help.

A SURREAL EXPERIENCE  

Somehow, to my immense surprise, my name is now attached to the bill sponsored by Sens. Tester and Rubio to form a research committee to investigate the impact of toxin-exposed veterans’ offspring. That’s all descendants, all veterans, and all toxin exposures.

People have been congratulating me, but that doesn’t ring right since all I did was ask how I could help. As I’ve come to learn, Vietnam Veterans of America has done the heavy lifting on Agent Orange exposure for decades.

Last month I had the opportunity to attend the Leadership Conference in Reno. My first afternoon there, I was struck by VVA’s Founding Principle on several of the business cards I received—oneone you all know by heart: “Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another.”

VVA’s interest and effort in taking on toxin exposure for all veterans and their descendants took on a whole layer of meaning. Thank you for your wisdom, generosity, and foresight in extending your efforts to families like mine, and families down that road who may have to deal with the impacts of toxin exposure as well.

Forming a research committee is the first step in what I hope will be legislation that ultimately will result in better care for veterans and their families because I don’t think you can separate the care of one from the other. The health of a parent, child, and spouse is intertwined. My mom and dad, for example, juggled Dad’s chemo treatments with my spinal cord surgery and hospitalizations.

This bill has been a long time in the making. Let’s not let all those efforts go to waste. And please, help spread the word about the impacts of generational toxin exposure. There are many families like mine who may be realizing for the first time the link between toxins and their own health issues. Contact your legislative representatives today to support this bill and help make a difference in the lives of so many.

Recently, a veteran said to me, “The government screwed up with Agent Orange kids—you guys ended up as guinea pigs for what my kids or grandkids might go through and it’s clear we haven’t done a good job dealing with it. We have to do better.”

The road ahead feels monumental, especially considering how broken the system already is for veterans. But just because something is hard, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it.

For some Agent Orange kids and their families, change will come too late. For me, that’s exactly why it’s so critical to be involved.

printemailshare

-September/October 2024July/August 2024May/June 2024March/April 2024January/February 2024November/December 2023September/October 2023July/August 2023May/June 2023March/April 2023January/February 2023November/December 2022September/October 2022July/August 2022May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021
---
-Archives
2024 | 2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman